Gee, are we FINALLY beginning to get straight information coming from the White House? Well, partially anyway. I don't know about Jay Carney's spin, but Matt Olsen Director of the National Counterterrorism Center has now come out and clearly stated:
"Yes, they were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy."Here's Guy Benson's take:
Political Editor, Townhall.com
Today's the 20th, so they've been pushing the "spontaneous protest" line for more than a week, despite reams of evidence and basic common sense. Nine days into this disaster, the truth emerges:
"Intelligence sources tell Fox News they are convinced the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was directly tied to Al Qaeda -- with a former Guantanamo detainee involved. That revelation comes on the same day a top Obama administration official called last week's deadly assault a "terrorist attack" -- the first time the attack has been described that way by the administration after claims it had been a "spontaneous" act. "Yes, they were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy," Matt Olsen, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, said during a Senate hearing Wednesday."Why has the Obama administration finally begun to admit what everyone has either suspected or outright stated for days? Three possibilities: (1) They wanted to give the president as much political protection as possible while the story was red hot -- before the media moved on to obsessing over a statement from Mitt Romney not related to the government's bungled response to security breaches at multiple Middle Eastern diplomatic outposts. Now that the press' Gaffewatch 2012 sights are trained on '47 percent,' it's politically safer to quietly admit, "Okay, yeah, our ambassador was murdered in a terrorist attack on the anniversary of 9/11 due to mind-blowing security negligence. But how 'bout that secret video taken of Romney in May?" Just how bogus was the "spontaneous protest" rubbish? C'mon:
A Libyan security guard who said he was at the U.S. consulate here when it was attacked Tuesday night has provided new evidence that the assault on the compound that left four Americans dead, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya, was a planned attack by armed Islamists and not the outgrowth of a protest over an online video that mocks Islam and its founder, the Prophet Muhammad. The guard, interviewed Thursday in the hospital where he is being treated for five shrapnel wounds in one leg and two bullet wounds in the other, said that the consulate area was quiet – “there wasn’t a single ant outside,” he said – until about 9:35 p.m., when as many as 125 armed men descended on the compound from all directions.
(cont'd at link)
I agree with Guy completely here. This has been nothing but a cover-up by the Obama Administration, in cooperation with the complicit media in maintaining the absurd story that the unrest in the Middle East is occurring, because of a film clip that no one has seen. The premise is ludicrous in the face of the evidence . . . and it has been from about 12 hours after the attack in Libya.
Anyone who has paid close attention to what was happening in the Middle East knew that what the White House and Jay Carney were spinning was complete BS intended to deflect from the inescapable conclusion that the President Obama's Middle East Agenda has been an absolute failure.
This has always been about his failure to lead. He failed to lead in the Libyan uprising last year, waiting until Ghaddafy's forces had killed or driven off most of the legitimate freedom fighters and left the resistance in the hands of the more radical and highly motivated Muslim Brotherhood and al Qaeda operatives.
It was the same M.O. that he used in NOT dealing with the failing health and growing weakness of President Mubarak and in not making any effort to have a presence in Egypt, again enabling the more radical groups to gradually rise to the top of the resistance movement. Power abhors a vacuum.
It might be that the more radical elements, being more motivated than others would still have risen to the top, but it's not a certainty and without our intervention and stabilizing presence, the likelihood of radical Islamists taking control was greatly increased AND as we now know, the new Egyptian President, Morsi is a radical member of the Muslim Brotherhood who has called for disturbing changes in foreign policy--including the re militarization of the Sinai Peninsula.
Read the article at the link, I like what Benson says here and I believe it is true.
Long Live Our American Republic!!!!