Last night in his victory speech, Obama sounded and said much the same as he did in 2008, with all sorts of promises of working across the aisle and building a better economy and focusing on job creation. Blah, blah, blah. The same old line . . . and the same old lies.
President Obama's idea of "reaching across the aisle" in his first term was to invite the Republican leadership to the White House, to sit quietly and NOT listen as Republicans presented their ideas and opinions, and then to tell them, "I won. Now sit down, shut up, and do as I tell you." I have seen nothing in this campaign or in the President's demeanor to indicate he will behave any differently than he has in the past.
It's not hard to predict what America will look like in the next four years, one only has to look at the last four years. So here are a few predictions.
- Death of the coal industry. Obama has the EPA working overtime to implement draconian regulations on "greenhouse gases," the net effect of which will be to destroy the coal industry and force the shutdown of most coal-fired plants. "Clean coal" is history.
- Full employment will now be redefined as being around 8%. It will be the new norm. When Nixon was running for his second term, unemployment was at 4+ percent and much was made about the fact that "full employment was below 3.5% unemployment. Since then, full employment has been redefined as being somewhere between 4.5 and 5% unemployment. It's not hard to guess what will happen over the next few months and years. Welcome to the new standard.
- Gasoline prices will remain high and climb higher--if Obama's energy secretary has his way it will be much, much higher--Steven Chu suggested that he wants the price to climb to $7.00/gallon. It is clear from his policy decisions that Obama is on board with that and that liberals intend to use those high prices to force Americans into smaller and smaller vehicles and/or a vastly expanded mass transit system. Good luck with that in sprawling cities like Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Los Angeles--2 hour commute anyone?
- The radical green agenda and policies intended to prevent non-existent man-made global warming will be given a full blown green light. Be prepared to pay a lot more for more than just gasoline.
- Private insurance (and private health care) as we now know it will cease to exist as businesses choose to accept the federal fines (excuse me, "taxes" as Justice Roberts declared them) and regretfully inform their employees and retirees that they will no longer provide health care coverage.
- Corporations will accelerate their move toward establishing their headquarters and their manufacturing processes overseas as tax burdens remain high and incentives for staying disappear. As go the corporate headquarters, so will go the jobs they generate. Rather than more manufacturing jobs, we will continue to be a service economy and more and more people will be forced into part-time employment.
- Islamic extremists will be emboldened. Israel will be under greater and greater pressure as Iran, once headed towards becoming a nuclear power will now see a clear road ahead and move full bore to completing their quest for weapons of mass destruction. The perceived (and real) weakness of American foreign policy and leadership will lead to a further radicalization of the Middle East and the possibility of war will become the probability of war.
- China will eclipse America as the dominant economic and political power in the world, as deficit spending will continue unabated. Each challenge America faces will be addressed with additional spending (all "urgent" and "necessary") and our already overwhelming debt will grow from $16 Trillion to over $23 Trillion as the full cost of Obamacare and all of the other "important" initiatives--like a new "Cap and Trade" type bill--are implemented.
- A life of "shared sacrifice" will become the new norm as well. Taxes will initially be raised solely on the "rich," but inevitably there will be a new form of "trickle-down" economics, the trickle-down of tax increases. A greater and greater portion of everyone's paycheck will be taken to pay for all the generosity promised by Democrats to keep their constituents happy.
- Divisiveness will only worsen. President Obama has done more to divide Americans than any President in history. He has used identity politics and race baiting to advance his candidacy and his agenda and to expect anything less in his second term would be naive.
- Disillusionment will increase as people see their way of life contracting under increasingly austere economic conditions. The rich will continue to get richer and the rest of us will be living off their leavings. We will have a more stratified society with the wealthy ruling class elites--from the Ivory Towers of Academia to the millionaire Congress, to the entertainers and athletes and the wealthy bankers and industrialists who have thrown their lot in with the Democrat Party--enjoying their privileged lives and the average citizen struggling to make ends meet.
History has proven time and again that such fairy tales don't come true--just ask those who lived their lives of "shared sacrifice" under the tender ministrations of the former CCCP and the Warsaw Pact nations--leftist reality is far different from leftist promises.
So, good-bye prosperity, good-bye liberty, good-bye America as it once existed and hello America-Britain, hello America-France, hello America-Greece. Hello third-world America.
God Bless America--we need You now more than ever.
Is that pessimistic enough for you? Sorry, folks, but I call it as I see it.